Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Thoughts on the Governor Sanford Situation

I have been thinking carefully ever since I got the news about Gov. Sanford’s affair; about what I would say and really about how I felt personally. First, let me say that tension is high and people feel very strongly about this situation. From the comments and debating I have been hearing almost non-stop since the news broke, people seem to be divided into two main groups. They either think that he is horrible and worthless or they say the pressure of office got to him, he made a mistake and we have to forgive. I have heard people say that his personal life doesn’t affect his job and others say his personal life is reflected in his job. After hearing all the comments back and forth and after having several discussions with people from around the state, this is what I think.
Mark Sanford is a normal human being, not a god, an idol or perfect person. He is capable of falling and he has. So have we all at some point. What he has done is very wrong and has hurt a lot of people, most of all his family. He made the decision to have the affair. He was not forced into doing this and you can’t say it happened to him because of the pressure of his job or anything else. The responsibly is on his shoulders and his alone. The devil didn’t make him do it, and God didn’t allow him to do it. Governor Sanford chose to do it. Having said that, there is and should be a path of forgiveness with his family, the people of this state and with God. I urge anyone to be careful in tearing down everything the man has ever done because of this and I also caution people about being so hateful in your opinions and criticisms of him. He has done wrong and betrayed a sacred trust. He will have to pay for his actions for years to come even if he is forgiven by everyone. We should pray for him and his family, the other lady involved and for our state as a whole. I think a person’s personal life is just that. However, when you are in business of being elected to serve the people you give up a certain amount of your personal life willingly. Personal life does affect your public life and your job and the same is true in reverse.
I think Mark Sanford has done a great job as Governor. He has been a champion for fiscal and social conservatism. I voted for him twice. He has made a huge mistake and tonight I will pray for him and all parties involved because that is all I can do. In the coming days everyone will debate every detail of this story and the chain of events to follow. I urge everyone to please be civil and respectful during this time. Remember, he has a family and they will and can be hurt by people being disrespectful. Personally I am very disappointed and hurt by what has happened. I hope that we as a state can move past this without destroying anyone in the process. For what it is worth, you now know my thoughts! God Bless us all!

Matthew Hilley

No comments: